If you came to this post thinking you’d see pictures of naked runners, you’re going to be disappointed. Now that we have that out of the way, what are the benefits of running naked?
In a recent discussion on a Google+ running community, I started with the question if anyone runs occasionally unplugged. By that I mean, no technology (mobile apps, GPS watches, etc.).
Comments came in and everyone had a different interpretation of unplugged. Some call it:
- Going Amish –no technology at all, just run.
- Going off the grid – no devices that transmit data, maybe a wrist watch
- Going stupid – use a mobile app but disable any voiceovers or call outs that indicate performance
- And finally Going Naked – Similar to going Amish, no technology just shirt, shorts, and shoes (maybe music)
Whatever you call it, running without technology does have benefits. As someone who evangelizes the quantified self and how technology can empower, I find it refreshing running without it once in a while.
Here are five benefits of running naked:
- Recovering from an injury. I’ve found it helpful to disregard any measurement so that I can rebuild my running stamina. The flow data on your running can be a real distraction and also push you too fast too soon resulting in re-injury or another.
- Enjoy your run. If you’re not always looking straight ahead and monitoring your running performance, you might just enjoy the scenery on your next run.
- Surprise yourself. Maybe don’t run with a mobile app or a GPS watch, but just time yourself and then review your data. Delaying the constant feedback might help tone down the distractions.
- Focus on form. Multi-tasking while running looks like it would be easy but how effective is it. If you’re concerned about your form, leave the devices behind. This is an opportunity to focus on proper mechanics without toggling a device.
- Great for tapering. With a big race coming up, tapering is helpful. What’s not helpful is the information that signals to you what your pace or miles run are.
Any experience in running off the grid, stupid, Amish, or naked? Leave a comment or share this post with others for their thoughts.0